Homemade tater tots are a delicious and nostalgic treat that can be easily prepared in the comfort of your own kitchen. These bite-sized potato nuggets are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, making them a favorite among both kids and adults.
Homemade Tater Tots
- 1 Dutch Oven
- 3 russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp dehydrated chopped onion
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp tablespoon chive
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Scrub the potatoes and peel them
- Mince the chives
- Combine two tablespoons of hot water and the dehydrated onions in a bowl and set aside
- Grate the potatoes into a bowl and fill with cold water
- Strain the potatoes and repeat the process to get rid of extra starch
- Add corn starch to the potatoes and mix well to combine.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Spread the potatoes outdone a baking sheet and bake for 20minutes
- Allow the potatoes to cool, then transfer them to a bowl and mixwell with all other ingredients.
- Scoop out 1 – 2 tablespoons of the mixture and place them in yourbasket
- Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, shaking a few times during the cooking process
FAQs about Homemade tater tots
Q: Can I use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes to make homemade tater tots?
A: Absolutely! Sweet potatoes can be a delicious alternative to regular potatoes for making homemade tater tots. They will provide a slightly sweeter flavor profile and a vibrant orange color. Just keep in mind that sweet potatoes have a higher moisture content, so you may need to adjust the amount of flour or binder used in the recipe to achieve the desired texture.
Q: Can I freeze homemade tater tots?
A: Yes, you can freeze homemade tater tots for future use. After shaping the tater tots, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until firm. Once frozen, transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. When ready to cook, simply fry, bake, or air fry them directly from the freezer, adjusting the cooking time as needed.
Q: How do I achieve a crispy exterior when baking tater tots?
A: To achieve a crispy exterior when baking tater tots, it’s important to coat them with a thin layer of oil before baking. This will help promote browning and crispiness. You can lightly brush the tater tots with oil or toss them in a small amount of oil before placing them on a baking sheet. Additionally, make sure to preheat your oven to a high temperature (around 425-450°F or 220-230°C) and spread the tater tots out in a single layer, allowing air to circulate around them.
Q: Can I make homemade tater tots ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make homemade tater tots ahead of time. Once you’ve shaped the tater tots, you can refrigerate them for a few hours or overnight before cooking. This can be convenient when preparing for a gathering or when you want to save time on the day of serving. Just make sure to cover the tater tots tightly with plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container to prevent them from drying out in the refrigerator.
Q: Are homemade tater tots suitable for a vegetarian or vegan diet?
A: Homemade tater tots can be suitable for a vegetarian diet, but it depends on the specific recipe and ingredients used. If you’re following a vegetarian or vegan diet, ensure that the ingredients you use, including the binders, seasonings, and any mix-ins, are free from animal products. Additionally, if deep-frying the tater tots, be mindful of the oil used to ensure it aligns with your dietary preferences.
Remember to check individual recipes and adjust the ingredients and cooking methods accordingly to accommodate specific dietary needs and preferences.
Some tips for cooking Homemade Tater Tots:
1. Choose the right potatoes: Use starchy potatoes like Russet potatoes as they contain less water and more starch, which helps to hold the tots together.
2. Grate the potatoes: Use a grater or food processor to shred the potatoes into small pieces. They should be small enough to form into tater tots but not so small that they become mushy.
3. Use a binding agent: Add a binding agent to the potatoes, such as cornstarch or all-purpose flour, to help hold the tater tots together.
4. Add seasoning: To add flavor, add seasoning such as garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper to the potato mixture.
5. Form the tots: Use your hands to form small cylinders of the potato mixture, about the size of a tater tot.
6. Freeze the tots: Place the tater tots on a baking sheet and freeze them for at least 1 hour before frying. This will help them hold their shape.
7. Fry the tots: Heat up the oil in a deep fryer or pot until it reaches 350°F. Carefully drop the tater tots into the hot oil and cook them for 2-3 minutes or until they are golden brown. Remove them from the oil and place them on paper towels to drain the excess oil.
I hope these tips will help you to make delicious Homemade Tater Tots that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Here are some serving suggestions for homemade tater tots:
1. Classic Side Dish: Serve homemade tater tots as a classic side dish alongside burgers, hot dogs, or sandwiches. They make a delicious and satisfying accompaniment, providing a crispy and flavorful addition to your meal.
2. Game Day Snack: Tater tots are perfect for game day gatherings or casual get-togethers. Serve them in a large bowl or on a platter with various dipping sauces like ketchup, barbecue sauce, or ranch dressing. They’ll be a hit among your friends and family.
3. Breakfast or Brunch Addition: Add homemade tater tots to your breakfast or brunch spread. Serve them alongside eggs, bacon, and toast for a delightful morning meal. Tater tots can also be used as a base for a breakfast casserole or as a topping for a breakfast skillet.
4. Loaded Tater Tots: Elevate your tater tots by adding delicious toppings and turning them into a loaded appetizer or meal. Top them with shredded cheese, crispy bacon bits, sour cream, chives, and even guacamole or salsa for a tasty and indulgent treat.
5. Tater Tot Nachos: Create a unique twist by turning tater tots into nachos. Arrange the cooked tater tots on a baking sheet, top them with melted cheese, diced tomatoes, sliced jalapenos, and any other desired toppings. Bake until the cheese is bubbly and garnish with fresh cilantro and a drizzle of sour cream.
6. Tater Tot Sliders: Make mini sliders using tater tots as the buns. Place a small cooked burger patty or a vegetarian patty between two tater tots, and add your favorite toppings like cheese, lettuce, tomato, and pickles. Secure with a toothpick and serve as a fun and flavorful appetizer or party snack.
7. Tater Tot Skewers: Thread cooked tater tots onto skewers along with other ingredients like cherry tomatoes, cooked sausage slices, and bell pepper chunks. Grill or bake them for a few minutes to create tasty tater tot skewers that can be enjoyed as a unique party appetizer or a fun side dish.
Remember, you can always get creative and customize your serving suggestions based on your preferences and the occasion. Whether you’re enjoying them as a classic side, a game day snack, or exploring new and exciting variations, homemade tater tots are versatile and sure to be a crowd-pleaser.