Jicama fries are a delicious and nutritious alternative to traditional potato fries. Made from the root vegetable jicama, these fries offer a unique and refreshing flavor with a satisfying crunch. They are low in calories, fat, and carbohydrates, making them a healthy choice for those looking to enjoy a guilt-free snack or side dish.
- 1 Dutch Oven
- 1 small jicama, peeled.
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 garlic powder.
- Cut jicama into matchstick-sized pieces
- Place pieces into a small bowl and sprinkle with remaining ingredients. Place the fries into the dutch oven basket
- Adjust the temperature to 350 Degrees F and set the timer for 20minutes. Toss the basket two- or three times during cooking. Serve warm.
The nutritional ingredients
Jicama fries are not only delicious but also packed with nutritional benefits. Here are the nutritional ingredients typically found in jicama fries:
1. Jicama: Jicama is a root vegetable rich in dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It is low in calories and fat, making it a healthy choice for those watching their calorie intake.
2. Fiber: Jicama is high in dietary fiber, which is beneficial for digestive health, promoting regular bowel movements, and maintaining a healthy weight.
3. Vitamins: Jicama contains essential vitamins such as vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin B6. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps support the immune system and promotes collagen production for healthy skin. Vitamin E is known for its antioxidant properties, protecting cells from damage. Vitamin B6 is important for brain development and function.
4. Minerals: Jicama is a good source of minerals like potassium, magnesium, and manganese. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure, while magnesium plays a role in maintaining healthy bones and muscles. Manganese is involved in metabolism and antioxidant defense.
5. Water content: Jicama has a high water content, contributing to its hydrating properties and helping you stay refreshed.
It’s worth noting that the nutritional values may vary depending on the size and preparation method of the jicama fries. However, overall, jicama fries provide a nutrient-dense and low-calorie option for enjoying crispy and flavorful fries.
Here are some cooking tips to help you achieve the best results when making jicama fries:
1. Choose the right jicama: Look for firm and smooth jicama roots without any soft spots or blemishes. The skin should be thin and easily peelable.
2. Peel and slice uniformly: Peel the jicama using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, and then slice it into thin, uniform strips resembling French fries. This will ensure even cooking and consistent texture.
3. Soak in cold water: After cutting the jicama into fries, soak them in a bowl of cold water for about 30 minutes. This helps remove excess starch and enhances the crispiness of the fries.
4. Pat dry: Before seasoning or cooking the jicama fries, make sure to pat them dry thoroughly using a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. Excess moisture can prevent the fries from becoming crispy.
5. Season well: Add your favorite seasonings to the jicama fries for added flavor. Popular options include chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, or a Cajun spice blend. Toss the fries in the seasoning mixture until evenly coated.
6. Baking method: Preheat your oven to a high temperature, around 425°F (220°C), and spread the seasoned jicama fries in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the fries are golden brown and crispy.
7. Air frying method: If using an air fryer, preheat it to the recommended temperature and place the seasoned jicama fries in the basket in a single layer. Cook according to the air fryer’s instructions, shaking or flipping the fries halfway through to ensure even cooking.
8. Pan-frying method: Heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned jicama fries in a single layer and cook until golden brown and crispy, flipping occasionally to prevent burning.
9. Don’t overcrowd: Ensure there is enough space between the jicama fries during cooking to allow for proper airflow and even browning. Overcrowding the pan or air fryer basket can result in soggy fries.
10. Serve immediately: Jicama fries are best enjoyed when they are fresh and hot. Serve them immediately after cooking to maintain their crispiness.
Remember, cooking times and temperatures may vary depending on your equipment and personal preference, so keep an eye on the fries as they cook to prevent overcooking or burning. Enjoy your homemade jicama fries as a healthier and delicious alternative to traditional potato fries!
Here are some serving suggestions to enjoy your crispy and flavorful jicama fries:
1. Dipping sauces: Serve jicama fries with a variety of dipping sauces for added flavor. Some popular options include chipotle mayo, garlic aioli, sriracha mayo, tangy barbecue sauce, or a creamy ranch dressing.
2. Guacamole or salsa: Pair jicama fries with freshly made guacamole or salsa for a refreshing and tangy twist. The creamy texture of guacamole or the chunky, flavorful salsa will complement the crispy fries perfectly.
3. Burgers and sandwiches: Use jicama fries as a delicious side dish for burgers, sliders, or sandwiches. The crunchy texture and subtle sweetness of the jicama fries will add a delightful contrast to the savory flavors of the main dish.
4. Salad topping: Sprinkle jicama fries over a salad to add a crispy and nutritious element. They can be a great replacement for croutons, providing a unique and healthier crunch.
5. Snack platter: Serve jicama fries alongside other favorite snacks as part of a snack platter. Include items like cheese cubes, sliced vegetables, hummus, and cured meats for a well-rounded and satisfying snack experience.
6. Tacos or wraps: Add jicama fries as a filling to tacos or wraps for an interesting and crunchy texture. They can be a tasty alternative to traditional fillings like lettuce or cucumber.
7. Party appetizer: Jicama fries make a great appetizer for parties or gatherings. Arrange them in a bowl or on a platter and serve them with toothpicks for easy grabbing. They are sure to be a hit among your guests.
Remember to serve the jicama fries immediately to maintain their crispiness. Get creative and experiment with different flavor combinations and serving options to find your favorite way to enjoy these delicious and nutritious fries.