Squash and cumin chili is a flavorful and hearty vegetarian chili recipe that is perfect for cold weather or a comforting meal. The centerpiece of this dish is the rich, earthy flavor of cumin combined with the sweetness of squash, adding a unique twist to traditional chili.
Squash and Cumin Chili
- 11 Dutch Oven
- 1 medium butternut
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large pinch of chili flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/2 ounces pine nuts
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- Take the squash and slice it
- . Remove seeds and cut into smaller chunks
- Take a bowl and add chunked squash, spice, and oil
- Mix well
- Pre-heat your Fryer to 360 degrees F and add the squash to thecooking basket
- Roast for 20 minutes. Ensure to shake the basket from time to time to avoid burning
- Take a pan and place it over medium heat, add pine nuts to the pan, and dry toast for 2 minutes
- Sprinkle nuts on top of the squash and serve
Describe the taste
The dish is packed with vegetables like peppers, onions, and tomatoes, which add a bright, tangy flavor and provide additional health benefits. The use of various beans, such as black beans or kidney beans, also ensures that the dish is high in protein and fiber, making it a filling and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with rice or cornbread. The squash and cumin chili is easy to prepare and can be customized to personal taste preferences with added spices like chili powder or paprika. It is an excellent option for vegans or vegetarians looking for a protein-packed meal that is also low in fat. Overall, the squash and cumin chili is a comforting and delicious dish that is perfect for any time of the year.
Tips for cooking
Here are some tips for cooking Squash and Cumin Chili:
- Choose a firm, heavy squash with a dull skin to ensure it’s ripe and fresh.
- Make sure to chop the ingredients into small, uniform pieces to ensure even cooking and flavor distribution.
- Consider toasting the cumin seeds in a dry skillet before adding them to the chili for a deeper, more intense flavor.
- Use a variety of beans for added texture and flavor.
- Don’t skip the simmering time! The longer the chili simmers, the more flavorful it will become.
- Serve the chili with your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, and cilantro.
Enjoy your Squash and Cumin Chili!
Squash and Cumin Chili can be served in various ways. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve the chili in bowls and top with shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, and sliced jalapenos.
- Ladle the chili over a bed of rice or quinoa for a heartier meal.
- Serve the chili as a filling for tacos or burritos. Top with your favorite taco toppings, such as diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and avocado.
- Serve the chili with a side of cornbread or crusty bread to mop up all the delicious flavors.
- For a low-carb option, serve the chili with a side of roasted or steamed vegetables, such as broccoli or green beans.