Air Fried Green Tomatoes are a tasty and healthier alternative to the traditional fried green tomatoes dish. This recipe involves coating slices of unripe green tomatoes with a mixture of cornmeal, herbs, and spices, then air frying them to perfection
Air Fried Green Tomato
- 1 Dutch Oven
- 2 medium green tomatoes
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- 1/4 cup blanched finely ground almond flour
- 1 large egg.
- Slice tomatoes into ½-inch-thick slices. Take a medium bowl, whisk the egg. Take a large bowl, mix the almond flour and Parmesan.
- Dip each tomato slice into the egg, then scour in the almond flour mixture. Position the slices into the dutch oven basket
- Adjust the temperature to 400 Degrees F and set the timer for 7minutes. Flip the slices midway over the cooking time. . Serve immediately
Fact about Air Fried Green Tomato
One interesting fact about Air Fried Green Tomatoes is that this dish has its roots in the Southern United States, where it was originally made as a way to use unripe tomatoes that didn’t have a chance to fully ripen before the end of the growing season. While fried green tomatoes have been a Southern staple for generations, the air frying method offers a healthier and more convenient way to make this classic dish. Air frying has become increasingly popular as a way to enjoy fried foods without the need for excess oil, and the technique works particularly well for dishes like fried green tomatoes that have a crunchy, breaded exterior.
Here are some cooking tips for making Air Fried Green Tomatoes:
1. Choose firm, unripe green tomatoes: Look for green tomatoes that are still firm and haven’t started to turn yellow or red. These tomatoes are tart and tangy, and their firmness helps them hold up to the breading and air frying process.
2. Use a seasoned breading: For the best flavor, use a seasoned breading mixture that includes a mix of spices like garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper. This will add flavor and depth to the crunchy coating on the tomatoes.
3. Preheat the air fryer: To ensure that your air fried green tomatoes cook evenly and crisp up properly, preheat your air fryer before adding the tomato slices. This will help create a nice golden crust without overcooking the tomato.
4. Spray the tomato slices with cooking spray: To help the breading stick and create a crispy texture, spray the tomato slices with a light coating of cooking spray before air frying them.
5. Cook in batches: To avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket and ensure that the tomato slices cook evenly, cook in batches if needed. Avoid stacking the tomato slices on top of each other, as this can cause them to steam and become mushy.
6. Serve immediately: Air Fried Green Tomatoes are best served immediately after cooking while they are still warm and crispy. You can serve them as an appetizer, side dish, or even as a unique addition to sandwiches or salads.
Air Fried Green Tomatoes are a versatile dish that can be served in a variety of ways. Here are some serving suggestions:
1. Dip them in sauce: Air Fried Green Tomatoes are delicious on their own, but dipping them in a sauce can take them to the next level. Some popular dipping sauces include ranch dressing, honey mustard, or a spicy aioli.
2. Add them to a sandwich: Air Fried Green Tomatoes can add a crunchy and tangy element to sandwiches. Try adding them to a classic BLT or as a topping on a turkey burger.
3. Serve as a side dish: Air Fried Green Tomatoes make a great side dish for barbecue, grilled meats, or other Southern-style cuisine. Serve them alongside coleslaw, mac and cheese, or baked beans.
4. Top a salad: Air Fried Green Tomatoes can add a unique and tasty crunch to salads. Try topping a bed of mixed greens with sliced green tomatoes, crumbled bacon, and blue cheese.
5. Garnish a soup: Air Fried Green Tomatoes can be a tasty garnish for soups, such as gazpacho or tomato soup. Simply slice them into strips and place them on top of the soup for added flavor and texture.